Understanding Headaches and How Chiropractic Care Can Help
According to the American Chiropractic Association is it determined that 9 out of 10 Americans suffer from headaches. About 5% of headaches are warnings of physical problems while the remaining 95% are primary headaches according to the ACA. There are many different causes for headaches and every patient treats their headache differently. Wouldn’t it be nice to discover there may be an alternative to popping a pill every time you feel a headache come on?
In 2014, it was reported in the Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics that chiropractic care improved outcomes for those patients suffering from acute and chronic neck pain. In 2011, there was research to support spinal adjustments can improve migraines and cervicogenic headaches. Some headaches coincide with neck pain and others come on independent of pain but any form of a headache can be debilitating
What Triggers Headaches?
Many different causes can lead to headaches including foods, environmental stressors (noise, lights, scents) exercise, blood sugar, post trauma, teeth clenching and grinding, lack of sleeping, medication, and even muscle tension. Today’s current society tends to be sedentary which leads to poor posture, muscle tension, weakness and in turn causes joint irritation and pain in the neck, upper back and therefore also trigger headaches. There are many different causes of headaches and it is important to properly be assessed for your specific headache.
What can a Chiropractor offer to Help Those Suffering With Severe Headaches?
Every patient is different and may receive a different plan of care based on their root cause of the headache. There is a variety of treatment options your chiropractor or physical therapist can offer. Spinal manipulations or better known as an adjustment may be performed to improve nerve functioning and allow relief of stress on the nervous system. Muscle work may also be performed on the surrounding area to relieve muscle tension and improve compensatory spasm from the neck, jaw or mid back. Rehabilitation exercises to improve posture, retrain muscles that are weak and ergonomic advice may also be given to improve your headaches frequency and intensity.